Wonder Cave Guided Tours. The Wonder Cave, a natural limestone cavern, is located in the internationally known valley of Kromdraai within the Cradle of Humankind World Heritage Site. It is amidst famous palaeontological sites containing the oldest relics of mankind. The cave is close to the Sterkfontein Caves and the Maropeng Visitor Centre in the Kromdraai Valley, northwest of Johannesburg. The cave is surrounded by game farms with an abundance of both wild- and birdlife.
The Wonder Cave is an enormous single limestone cavern, measuring 125m long, 54m wide and 60m deep. It was formed between 5 and 10 million years ago, and its ancient dripstone formations are largely intact, and still growing. Some stalagmites resemble weird mushrooms and jellyfish, others look like fingers. The variety of stalactites are also impressive. Some clusters resemble crystal chandeliers, others petrified stone curtains. The largest formation measures 15m in length and weighs 50 tons; other flowstone sculptures are slender and delicate. Reasonable fitness is required to tour the Wonder Cave. The 88 steps that lead you into, and out of the cave, tend to leave most visitors a little breathless!
Wonder Cave Guided Tours Information:
Hourly Day Tours: Tours are conducted by competent guides along well-lit pathways, where no crawling is necessary, reducing the likelihood of claustrophobia.
Monday to Friday from 08h00 to 17h00 (last tour is at 16h00)
Saturday and Sunday from 08h00 to 18h00 (last tour is at 17h00)
Rimstone pools, cave pearls, stalactites, stalagmites, popcorn formations, straw formations, mushroom formations, the Madonna, etc.
Picnic area, kiosk shop and a restaurant outside the cave.
Accommodation, Activities & Facilities in the Area:
- Krugersdorp, Magaliesburg and Muldersdrift Accommodation options are varied and a comfortable drive from the heritage site.
- The Cradle of Humankind covers an area of over 47,000 hectares of privately owned land in the north-western corner of Gauteng. The area is filled with family-friendly activities, and perfect for weekend or longer getaways.
- The Magalies Meander and Hot-air Ballooning.
- The Maropeng Visitor Centre.
- Picnic area, kiosk shop and restaurant outside the cave.
- Hourly Day Tours. Evening Tours and Abseiling available (these must be booked in advance).
- For more info and to book abseiling and evening tours: http://www.wondercave.net
Wonder Cave Guided Tours Contact Details:
Website: www.showme.co.za/tourism/the-wonder-cave-kromdraai / www.places.co.za/html/wonder_cave.html
Valley of Kromdraai
within the Cradle of Humankind World Heritage Site